Alison Krauss and Union Station, “Simple Love”
Happy birthday, Alison Krauss!
Details in the Fabric
If it’s a broken part, replace it /
If it’s a broken arm, then brace it /
If it’s a broken heart, then face it
Hold your own, know your name, and go your own way /
And everything, everything will be fine
I rediscovered this song today and I’m so glad I did. Simple but powerful advice found nestled in a few lyrics.
The apparently unstoppable Dame Maggie reads.
I’m actually going to steal a dear friend’s story here. Mr. D., my friend, used to work at a bookshop in London. Lovely as this gentleman is - and he is the nicest, sweetest man you could ever hope to meet - he simply never got around to reading the Harry Potter books. Not out of any snobbish anti- feels; they just weren’t his bag and he never got them on his brodingnagian reading list. Consequently, he was unfamiliar with the films as well. So one day, Maggie Smith walks into the shop and asks him were the Potter books are. He shows her and asks if she’s enjoying them. “Enjoying them?” she says. “My dear man, I’m living them.”
"… and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Here’s to book seven. Here’s to the years of anticipation before it and the years of discussion in its wake. Here’s to the boy who lived and how he changed everything.
And here’s to you, if you know that “the very end” isn’t happening anytime soon.
After all this time? Always.
I think I spent too much of my twenties being afraid. Afraid that people would finally see me, the real me, beneath the sham of optimism and corny jokes, and they wouldn’t like what they saw. Afraid that I’d find a better parking spot when I was already out of the car. Mostly, afraid that I was falling behind some terrible hidden schedule.
Irene Lee, Girl Detective
The Case of the Missing Mysteries
"You’re a woman, and that’s good. Look like a woman."
- Mindy: "I don’t want him to see my naked body and then decide he doesn't like me."
- Danny: "Guys don’t care about this stuff as much as girls think they do."
- Mindy: "That’s a bunch of crap. You all say that and then you go out and date ass models. I am sick of being the person with the 'good personality,' okay? I want to be so hot that Cliff would date me even if I had a bad personality."
- Danny: "You’re self-conscious. You have no reason to be. All I was going to say is, don’t suck in your stomach so much. It makes you look nervous and frankly, a little constipated."
- Mindy: "And get a boob job."
- Danny: "No, that’s not what I was going to say."
- Mindy: "And get rid of the cellulite on your legs."
- Danny: "No."
- Mindy: "And have blue eyes."
- Danny: "I don’t want that."
- Mindy: "Oh."
- Danny: "You’re a woman, and that’s good. Look like a woman."